incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject RE: What is a healthy community? WAS: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:30:48 GMT
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Ceki [iso-8859-1] Gülcü wrote:
> I won't make any empty promises here. I don't think the LS PMC could take
> over log4x code if the current contributors stopped working on it.

The LS PMC should then put effort into finding new developers.  My
expectation as a board member would be to see the LS PMC ensure that there
are enough developers involved that the departure of one or two
developers, or an employer, doesn't leave the project with zero developers
and zero interest in the users in becoming developers.  It's like keeping
a camp fire burning - if that fire goes out, it's much more effort to get
it going again.  Ideally (or if the PMC does its job well) the log4net
community fire is self-sustaining and doesn't need stoking by the PMC.
But otherwise, yeah - the PMC is all about ensuring the community around
the Project and its codebases is sustainable.

The alternative is code going without a release and suffering from bitrot,
unable to respond to security notices, no one home to answer the bug
reports with good patches attached, no pathway for the naive users to grow
into core developers.

We decentralize a lot of the authority to the PMCs to manage their
communities and codebases as they see fit.  Authority without
responsibility, though, breaks down in the long run.

 	Brian