incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: What is a healthy community?
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:26:43 GMT

On Mar 16, 2005, at 12:44 PM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> At 09:26 PM 3/15/2005, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> On the notion of community:
>>> The ASF considers any project with less then 3 active committers as
>>> not having a community. The consensus on the number 3 can be
>>> described
>>> as very solid, if not frozen. My implicit suggestion to consider 2 as
>>> an alternative was not well received.
>> Yes. The ASF requires at least a threesome, if not a full-fledged
>> orgy :)
> The  3+ rule  tries  to  capture the  subtle  notion of  collaborative
> development.    By  collaboration,   do  we   mean   intra-project  or
> inter-project collaboration.  The 3+  rule only relates to the former,
> but what about collaboration between projects?

It is hoped, and expected, that ASF project will (as the cliche'
goes) "eat our own dog food." In other words, not on will
projects (and sub-projects) used each others' applications and
programs, but that cross-pollination of contributors is welcomed
and encouraged.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message