incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: What is a healthy community? WAS: log4net 1.2.9 beta release
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2005 19:51:26 GMT

On Mar 14, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>
>>> Data Point #3: Need clear guidlines "3 people who can +1 a release,
>>> from 3 different companies"?
>>
>> That issue was addressed earlier with respect to XMLBeans.  I don't
>> know
>> that there really is a definitive answer other than that we want to
>> make
>> sure that there is sufficient oversight and independence from any
>> given
>> employer.
>
> The trouble I have here is that I like to believe that company
> affiliation is left at the door when it comes to governance, and is
> irrelevant when it comes to technology in that of your employer wants
> you to implement the Frooble Device driver, you implement it, as long
> as there aren't valid technical reasons not to.
>
> IOW, as long as employment considerations don't enter into decisions
> about governance, it's fine.  If it does happen, the board can step
> in, or someone can fork it.
>
> I think this is even less of an issue when it becomes a part of a
> larger, healthy PMC.

Although I agree that during Incubation, the potential conflict is
somewhat
higher, depending on the contributors. For example, if the
code is from 3 current ASF project committers (and possibly members)
then we already trust that they wear their ASF hats when involved
in ASF "work". If the 3 people are new to the ASF, then the
Incubator should ensure that they know that corporate allegiences
should not apply or be a factor, and the Incubator is wise
in being a bit more sensitive in this area, under these
conditions.