incubator-general mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Lucene4c
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:30:53 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I'd gladly bring the codebase into Lucene's repository if that is the
>>consensus.  It was created entirely by Garrett and he's agreed to
>>donate it, so the IP should be pretty clear cut.
>

> Do you have a community for it, or just a place?  If this isn't something
> that the Lucene community is ready to develop, you should incubate it here,
> develop the community, and then bring it into Lucene.  Direct imports are
> more for new modules contributed into existing projects.

We currently have a place for it at the Lucene TLP, but that's mostly it.

The 'developer community' of lucene4c is currently just me, although
others have expressed interest.  The user community is currently
nonexistant because the code has yet to reach a point where it's really
useful to an end-user, although it's getting there.

It seems that the best course of action is for the Lucene PMC to vote
whether they want to accept the project for incubation (which they are
currently doing), then bring the project into the incubator and try to
build up a more sustainable community around it.  Then once we've done
that graduate the project into the Lucene TLP on a permanent basis.

-garrett