incubator-general mailing list archives

From Garrett Rooney <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Lucene4c
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:35:20 GMT
I'd like to propose the Lucene4c project for incubation.

Lucene4c is a port of the Lucene search engine from Java to C, using the
Apache Portable Runtime library for portability.  The project is far
from complete, and code to date is primarily concerned with reading an
existing Lucene index, which must be created with another Lucene
implementation (currently only Java Lucene has been tested).  The plan
is to complete support for the rest of the index format and then move on
to implementing search functionality (beyond the current proof of
concept code anyway).  Once we've reached that point work will begin on
actual indexing functionality so that Lucene4c can stand alone, without
the use of another Lucene implementation for bootstrapping.

The project would be part of the new Lucene top leve project, and Erik
Hatcher has offerred to serve as a sponsor.

While I have yet to expand the community of developers further than
myself, I am anxious to do so, and I expect to be able to draw both from
people as of yet unassociated with Lucene who have expressed interest in
such a project and from existing Lucene developers who have expressed
interest in establishing cross-language compatibility tests for the
various Lucene ports.

Lucene4c already has ties to existing ASF projects, particularly Lucene
itself and APR.  Bringing it into the ASF would only strengthen those ties.

More details, including where to get the current release or development
versions of the code can be found at the Lucene4c web site at
http://electricjellyfish.net/garrett/lucene4c/

-garrett