incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Directory project releases
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:54:48 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Tuesday 28 December 2004 12:16, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

>>>  3) Janus is a trademark of Janus International Holding Co, which has
>>>     actively defended it in other contexts:
>>>
>>><http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0201.html>.
>>>

>>Youch!
>>

>>>     Janus is also the name of several software projects and at least
>>>one
>>>     software company.  I do not consider it sufficiently free of
>>>risk  to
>>>     be used as the name of an Apache product.
>>>

>>This is just trouble! I agree.  Let's just quickly find another name for
>>this.  Any recommendations would be welcome.
>>

>Janus is "God of Gates and Doorways" and a moon of Saturn was named after him
>in 1966.
>http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Sat_Janus
>
>The sited web page is about arbitration of a domain name and to regain control
>of such domain name. Janus Capital Group does not seem to go after every use
>of Janus, so it is not a matter of trademark issue;
>http://www.janus-software.com/
>http://www-odp.tamu.edu/database/
>http://www.janus-eu.org/Temp2/index-f.htm
>http://www.janusassociates.com/
>http://www.janusdevelopment.com/

Yes I carefully reread the link myself and agree.  Janus seems ok after
all.  I think its very easy to get scared looking at something with
litigation written all over it.

I think we better wait for some official legal advice on this.
Meanwhile we're in limbo.  Too bad I wanted a release out before the new
year :(.

Alex