incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Incubator Site branch - sources in html
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:32:32 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> For templates, having to edit the HTML code looks like more work than
> editing the relatively simply CWIKI format files.  For example, I compared
> the CWIKI for the IP Clearance form to the HTML, and considered which one
> would be nicer to edit for every PMC to clear IP.  But I don't know that I
> care too much either way.  I'm curious to know how Roy and Ken feel, since
> they had considered a switch in the past.

The html version can be edited in an editor. I use OpenOffice.
Furthermore, even edited by hand it's easier to use, as basically anyone
knows html. It lowers the real and percieved barrier to entry.
It will also eliminate the validation errors that we are getting now on
CWIKI files.

Another argument is that cwiki is not a standard document format.
Years from now there won't be any software available to view it other
than as plain text, so it's not suitable for records.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -