incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Directory Project structure (was: Question about project names)
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:01:17 GMT
On Dec 30, 2004, at 10:26 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> I believe that there are some misunderstandings.  There is an
> architecture
> for a unified Directory Server.  That server is made from a number of
> components: the core JNDI backend, the local JNDI code, the network
> support,
> ASN.1 encoding support, the wire-level protocol handlers, all of whom
> fit
> together to build a unified project.  LDAP (present), Kerberos
> (present),
> DNS (pending), DHCP (pending), CosNaming (proposed) and other
> directory-dependent wire-level protocols are built to the code JNDI
> backend,
> sharing all of the network and backend plumbing, and adding just the
> pieces
> for implementing their protocol.  All of these services are
> represented by
> directory schema on the backend, and common network plumbing on the
> front.

Okay, but just to mention one of my pet peeves: "refactoring" projects
into independent components within an open source project is like
polishing
rocks: the result may be a bunch of really cool stones, but that will
still
suck if what the user actually wants is a stone wall.  Build the
bricks, but
be sure their design goals are determined by the larger, user-driven
project
rather than abstract notions of the perfect component.  That's why I say
that it is better to distribute the whole thing as one product, at least
until the component interfaces are truly stable -- open source people
know
how to cut and paste.  [Just my opinion -- feel free to ignore.]

> The term "sub-projects" should also be dropped in favor of
> "components."

Please do that -- it gave me the willies.

....Roy