incubator-general mailing list archives

From Oliver Zeigermann <oliver.zeigerm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Idea of JCMS
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:49:24 GMT
Hi David,

first of all let me say that I really appreciate your help! Second,
let me say that I have no reservations concerning Jackrabbit and
certainly do not see it as a threat to Slide or the other way round
(which others seemed to feel in other posts), but rather want to
explore where each project can learn from the other or where they
could combine efforts or benefit from each other - like with sharing a
WebDAV implementation.

More comments inline...

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:44:12 +0100, David Nuescheler
<david.nuescheler@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi oliver,
>
> > (1) Where can I get the (tentative) JCR API?
> you can download the snapshot that was out for public review
> in may-2004
> ( http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr170/index.html )
> which is a quite a bit outdated now. or you can get the binaries that
> are used by maven to build for jackrabbit from http://www.day.com/maven/
> "proposed final draft" will be submitted soon (i hope).

Thanks, got it now! Is this the API you were programming Jackrabbit to?

> > (2) When *presumably* will Jackrabbit be mature enought
> > to be an alternative to the current Slide backend?
> since i do not know slide well enough to understand how
> mature it is and i cannot judge what it would mean to be an alternative
> to the slide backend, i can only speak for jackrabbit. even when
> jackrabbit was still a slide proposal people (unfortuntately)
> started to use it in production.

Which is not your fault!

> there are already mature applications that are built
> uniquely on jackrabbit, so far people have been very
> happy with the stability.

That's great! Do you have links to them?

I suppose this is without authentication, access rights management and
locking, right?

Please forbear with me as I am not yet familiar with Jackrabbit, but
as far as I have seen there is only a backend to the file system and
none to a relational database, right? Or have I missed something?

How does the JCRQL look like? Is there any link to documentation?

> i am sure there are very different mechanisms to measure
> robustness, which are usually very dependant on the
> requirements of the users. do you have any sort of
> performance metrics in mind? uptime? size of the
> repository in bytes or nodes (resources)? transactions
> per second? functionality (versioning, query,
> transactions,...?)? memory consumption?

Bottom line is Jackrabbit is something you would advice to program to
for production? Even now? Well, that's good news for me! Why not
moving it out of the incubator then?

> if there are any standard loadtests that are used
> for slide i am sure we could port them over to
> jsr-170 and see how jackrabbit compares today...
> (which as a side effect would allow us to have
> the worlds first "general purpose content
> repository benchmark" that would run against
> any jsr-170 compliant repository ;) )

No idea how this might look like...

Oliver