incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Percentage of projects using Subversion was Re: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:40:32 GMT
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:40:47 -0700, Justin Erenkrantz
<justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> --On Tuesday, October 19, 2004 1:56 PM -0400 Neil Graham <neilg@ca.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'd also be curious to know what proportion of Apache projects have
> > migrated to SVN so far?  There would be a significantly higher amount of
> > churn caused to the community by an SVN migration than was caused by our
> > earlier Jira migration; so I'd prefer to go down a well-trod path than be
> > on the bleeding edge in this particular instance.
>
> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/>
>
> A fair number of projects have already converted and a few more (such as
> httpd) have already agreed to convert, but are waiting for the 'right' time
> to convert.  (My hunch is a bunch more might migrate at upcoming AC'04.)

FWIW, we (Struts) just switched, and once you take advantage of "svn
copy" and "svn move", or the ability to actually delete a directory,
or cheap tag==branch, you'll never look back :-).

> For more info, please see: <http://www.apache.org/dev/cvs2svn.html>

This tool did a really good job of importing our CVS history logs, too.

> HTH.  -- justin

Craig