incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:09:29 GMT
I worked on the some of the legal aspects with Eduardo, so going to
jump in here.

On Oct 13, 2004, at 3:59 PM, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Neeraj Bajaj wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I was wondering when can we start merging the JAXP 1.3 sources ?
>> Merging the code in branch/review/testing/committing to main trunk
>> would take time so at least from my side i would like to see this
>> work started as early as possible say from tomorrow.  What is the
>> general procedure ? Is there any formality that needs to be completed
>> first ? What is the opinion of
>> (Xml-commons/Xerces/Xalan) committers ?
>
> I'm assuming that this is something that XML-Commons/Xerces/Xalan wish
> to do?
>
> I've CCd general@incubator as well, as I'd like Noel's opinion, but my
> feeling is that *if* the Xerces/Xalan and/or XML-Commons community
> want this code to be imported (and it sounds like they do - but I'd
> like to see that formalised), then the community side is already
> there.
>
> If that's the case, then I don't think we need to go through the full
> incubation process (Noel - thoughts appreciated!) - we only need a
> code grant from Sun (we can't take something into our repository until
> we are sure we have appropriate legal rights to do so) + someone needs
> to fill out the incubation docs to show that everything is AOK.  I'm
> happy to help out with the latter part.

This is an update to the existing code that is already there.

It is, I suppose, a new grant of software to an existing community, so
I think that what we need is the grant documentation from Sun*, have
that entered into the incubator, and move from there.

geir

*The current grant is said to be incompatible with AL2.  There are
multiple things being held up by a clear grant process.  We'll try to
fix this ASAP.  Given the broad distribution of this note, I'll leave
it at that :)

geirm@apache.org