incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [OT] How to prevent abusing Apache priviliges
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:43:27 GMT
On 18 Oct 2004, at 02:19, thorsten wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>> Nope. What Thorsten describes looks pretty bad IMO, so I want to know
>> what is going on. Otherwise, this shouldn't have been posted at all.
>> No need to keep the dust under the carpet. And if Thorsten doesn't
>> want to go public with it - he should post on pmc@i.a.o. Talking
>> about the issue doesn't have anything to do with forwarding private
>> mails to public/private lists.
>
> I did not want to do that because I thought we could make rules
> against thus abuse in the future without reviewing the past. I believe
> in the "second change". Like Roy said "Keep in mind that mentors are
> human
> too and they sometimes make mistakes."
>
>> I will not vote on policy which makes no sense or is based on
>> unproven facts from the past.
>
> I really do not see your point that this policy do not make sense!

Sure. Do you really think that establishing such a rule will refrain
people from being human, and making mistakes? You just want a stick to
beat them if they make a mistake? If mistakes are to be expected, and
based on factual stuff (such as licensing, release guidelines, etc),
I'm all +1 on establishing rules. If you want a rule that "allows" you
to deface someone by talking to his management, I'm pretty sure you're
looking in the wrong place. What would need to be in that rule? Public
punishment? Having a postbox for dropping unfounded claims into? Sorry
but I really don't understand what you want to establish with this
discussion, other than substantiating FUD.

> I started this abstract thread to prevent that things from happening
> *in the future*.
>
> On the one hand you say
> "doesn't have anything to do with forwarding private mails to
> public/private lists."
> on the other hand you speaking of "unproven facts". How can I prove
> the abuse without doing so?

By being brave and send a description of these facts to either this
list or the pmc list. You don't need to forward private mails for that.
Just tell people who did what.

>> I don't think so and they are appreciated. But I'm not sure this will
>> lead us anywhere if Thorsten doesn't speak factually. I've quite had
>> it with the amount of FUD mails making waves on various Apache lists.
>> </Steven>
>
> Ok, I see that we will not be able to establish some rules without
> speaking factually. I will post the actual use case to the incubator
> pmc list.
>
> This was *NOT* my intention when I started this thread!

Tough luck, IMHO.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org