incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [OT] How to prevent abusing Apache priviliges
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:24:07 GMT
On 17 Oct 2004, at 16:10, Rolf Kulemann wrote:

> <em>
> I like very much more the approach to send private mail to the source,
> too, because maybe the first (or following related) private mails were
> misunderstood and talking about that freely would make unnecessary
> noise
> and would invlove people, which again misinterpret it.
> </em>
>
> Don't you like the idea?

Nope. What Thorsten describes looks pretty bad IMO, so I want to know
what is going on. Otherwise, this shouldn't have been posted at all. No
need to keep the dust under the carpet. And if Thorsten doesn't want to
go public with it - he should post on pmc@i.a.o. Talking about the
issue doesn't have anything to do with forwarding private mails to
public/private lists.

>> (and imagine yourself being an outsider reading this thread: how would
>> you read it? what would you think of the incubator, or the ASF as a
>> whole?)
>
> I guess this thread isn't damaging anything, because it's as you say
> "blue skying" (I prefer the word abstract here). I for myself could
> imagine that's interesting to outsiders, too, since it shows that we
> care about such things.

I don't see how speaking factually rather than conceptually would
change showing how we care about it.

> 5.) Engrave sense making options from above somewhere appropriate that
> we do not need to discuss it again. This is maybe an incubator task, if
> at all.

I will not vote on policy which makes no sense or is based on unproven
facts from the past.

> I hope my contributions to this thread are not misinterpreted.

I don't think so and they are appreciated. But I'm not sure this will
lead us anywhere if Thorsten doesn't speak factually. I've quite had it
with the amount of FUD mails making waves on various Apache lists.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org