incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: Proposition: Twister WS-BPEL engine and Apache Agila
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:13:16 GMT

On Oct 21, 2004, at 4:20 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr" <geir@4quarters.com> writes:
>> The goal is to do BPM, not specifically BPEL.  BPEL support is
>> certainly welcome, but should be a part of the overall project, not
>> the
>> dominant focus.  There's more to BPM than BPEL :)
>
> Absolutely :).
>
> However, I think there's room in the WS project for an effort
> focused purely on implementing BPEL. BPEL is a key component of
> the WS-* stack and I for one would be happy to see a pure BPEL
> effort in Apache.
>
>> I think that bringing the two concepts together - workflow and WS
>> orchestration - would be a great goal :)
>
> So as a co-author of BPEL I have to say that that was indeed
> one of our objectives .. clearly we have failed at least by
> you :).

Yah, well, I've been clear that I don't know much :) so I'm doing a bit
more homework. I'll come back and apologize if I'm wrong, or else
clearly explain what I think it's missing.

[SNIP]

> However, I am willing to accept that BPEL is by no means
> sufficient for all BPM scenarios and that there is indeed
> room for other work and implementations. I'm not trying
> to force Agila to abandon its model here ..
>
> So maybe the idea of a separate effort for BPEL is not a bad
> idea. Dims, what do you think?
>
> Geir, is the plan for Agila to go for a new TLP after incubation
> or go to one of the existing projects?

Right now, the Jakarta PMC has voted to accept us once we complete
incubation.

However, I think that this would be a stronger community and better
software stack if we could bring all together into one project, and
then apply for TLP.  I'd really like to see Agila include BPEL, and
make it such that a pure BPEL workflow is just an agila workflow w/o
non-BPEL activities, if you get what I mean.  Make it so that people
who just want to write/use BPEL, people who want to mix, and people who
don't want BPEL can all use the same thing.  There's lots of
commonality - with a full system, we'll all need the reporting,
logging, administration, etc, and no need to duplicate...

geir

geir@gluecode.com