incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [OT] How to prevent abusing Apache priviliges
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:36:40 GMT
Never cross-post to community.

> what if incubating mentors would abuse their powers to interfer with
> the
> normal evolution of Apache incubation projects.

What is "normal evolution"?  For that matter, what are the mentor powers
that you are speaking of here?  Mentoring is a burden, not a power.

> I think that mentors could write off-list mails to possible committers
> and discourage them to committ to a incubating projects. On the end
> this
> mentor could recommend to the possible incubating committer to work on
> *NON* apache project instead of the incubating project.
>
> THAT WOULD BE A VIOLATION TO THE APACHE WAY TO DO THINGS!!!

Well, it might be -- it really depends on why the mentor is suggesting
such a thing.  For example, if someone were to try to contribute GPL
code to an Apache project, my response would be along those lines.

Is this a rhetorical question, or do you have some specific example
in mind that you want corrected?  Keep in mind that mentors are human
too and they sometimes make mistakes.

....Roy