incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [OT] How to prevent abusing Apache priviliges
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:14:32 GMT
On 19 Oct 2004, at 02:01, Robin Antony wrote:

> I have been following this thread with quite some interest. IMO there
> should be a set of rules to let the novice commiters know when a ASF
> veteran who is guiding the team is really crossing the line. There
> should be a do and don't about what ASF members are supossed to do and
> not supossed to do. What are the interest they should be protecting.
> When does it become against the policies of ASF. In most cases people
> do it due to ignorance or just a mistake on their part. But if they
> did know the basic values and ideal that they have to protect then the
> chances of making these mistakes become less probable. What do u guys
> think?

As I am trying to indicate, we should do this on a case-by-case basis,
and not by establishing another set of rules. Keep in mind that mentors
are volunteers, who obviously also have other things to do. If their
actions become routinely scrutinized against a set of rules, one can
easily foresee a diminishing amount of volunteering - hence less
incubation processes. A simple rule however could be that incubatees
should have two mentors.

And please, there _is_ already an incubator PMC, with a non-public
mailing list, and I'm sure anyone on that list is ready & willing to
address case-by-case issues.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org