incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rolf Kulemann <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] How to prevent abusing Apache priviliges
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:02:47 GMT
On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 02:05, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> thorsten wrote:
>
> > Ok, I am not a native speaker but
> > ...what if incubating mentors would abuse...
> > is a subjunctive! I did *not* say that they did or do!
> >
> > Lets just asume that is just blue-skying!!!
>
> If any Apache committer abuses his shell account, he could well ...

This wasn't the usecase here....it was "sending private emails to
(possible) commiters to discourage them". This is different from abusing
shell. Well, ok, you can write emails using a shell, but I guess you
meant it more general.

> Sorry, but if we start to discuss such issues without real background,
> it would never end. My thoughts, obviously not yours.

I do not think so. The approach to contact board or other PMC members
privately in order to tell them, if the usecase happens, is a good
approach, imho.

I propose to engrave a sentence in bug red letters somewhere, which
tells commiters how to react in such a situation. It will also prevent
such happenings and it will prevent that this issue is discussed again
and again. Maybe it is already written somewhere?

BTW: The usecase is also possible for non incubating projects. It can
happen everywhere.

--
Rolf Kulemann