incubator-general mailing list archives

From Vic <vic.cekven...@portalvu.com>
Subject Repost: Re-: Subject: Re: Derby code copyright question
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 03:18:29 GMT
Jim Barnett wrote:

> Also, having owners assign copyrights to ASF would probably be a mistake.  First, ASF
really doesn't have the resources or (I would guess) the interest in enforcing copyrights
assigned to it when a third party uses the contributed work outside the scope of the Apache
license.  Second, so long as the author/contributor retains ownership of the copyright, the
author also retains some degree of protection against prospective shifts in Apache's out-bound
license terms.  In other words if tomorrow Apache decided that the FreeBSD-style license model
was passé and that the GPL model is preferable, as assignee-owner Apache could make that
shift, even if the original contributor of the work specifically relied upon Apache's commitment
to the FreeBSD-style model instead of a GPL model when making the contribution.  If the original
author retains ownership of the contribution, and were Apache to radically alter its license
model in a way undesirable to the contributor, the contributo
r could simply offer its original contribution via another open source organization and/or
license model more consistent with it's perceived strategic interests.

> I am very curious as to what others think about this issue, and am available for e-mail
or phone consultation.  Thank you for allowing me to offer my $0.02.

> Regards,
>
> James Barnett
> Senior Counsel
> BEA Systems, Inc.
> 408-570-8442

In general... the goal of O/S AFAIK  "it's our sofware, and you can't
take it away from us once you give it to us" and that is what the
license should do.

ASF should own it and if chose to *not protect* it (goal is to share) or
adjust the license, great. Else it's a slipery slope and resource intensive.

.V

--
Please post on Rich Internet Applications User Interface (RiA/SoA)
<http://www.portalvu.com>