incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@freenet.de>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Switch to SVN
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:05:27 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Aditionally, I wanted to see what others think in making SVN a
> requirement for all new podlings entering the Incubator. IT would
> certainly make it easier to keep track of permissions across all
> Incubator-dependant repositories.

I still do believe, that SVN isn't sufficiently well supported. That
doesn't apply to the SVN server, but to the tools, IDE's, and similar
thing. For example, the Eclipse plugin for SVN is way behind the CVS plugin.

It is quite reasonable, that this will change over the next year. But,
as the situation is now, I would consider it a pain to use SVN in
everydays work. That is also the reason, where I do not support
switching to SVN in the Apache projects, I am involved in.

Conclusion: Give it another year.

And, just a personal feeling: I would consider it expecting too much
from a podling, to fulfill requirements, that not even the major Apache
projects fulfill.

Jochen

--
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050423/1/5/1/+1