incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Apache Agila : BPM engine
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:27:14 GMT
All,

The Jakarta PMC has voted to accept in Jakarta the contribution of a
BPM engine from Gluecode, my employer, and I am starting the basic work
of getting it into [and out of] incubation.

Currently called "Apache Agila", it is a small, lightweight BPM engine
that we have developed as the core of our BPM product.  BPM is an
important part of the Java server-side stack, and we feel that this
contribution will be a great 'seed' for a full-fledged BPM project at
Apache.  At the ASF, you can find a fairly rich set of parts for an
enterprise application stack, such as Geronimo, Tomcat, Derby,
Jetspeed, Pluto et al, and now there's the addition of BPM.

The engine has no dependencies upon platform (like J2EE), and I'm
guessing that it's easy to embed this engine into the popular framworks
and platforms, such as hivemind, spring, struts, pico, etc.  Agila will
arrive with simple HTML GUI via a servlet, and JDBC-based persistence,
but these are services that can be replaced with other implementations.
  For example, the Gluecode product does a JSR-168 portals and
J2EE-based implementation of the services.

Anyway, this is a notice of what's happening, and an invitation to all
to come and participate in the project.

I've CC-ed general@jakarta, but lets keep the conversation about it
here in the incubator for now.  I'll be setting up the mail-lists
first, and will note when that happens so we can switch .

Thanks

geir

geirm@apache.org