incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: Apache Agila : BPM engine
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:51:03 GMT

On Sep 30, 2004, at 7:12 AM, Endre StĂžlsvik wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
> | All,
> |
> | The Jakarta PMC has voted to accept in Jakarta the contribution of a
> | BPM engine from Gluecode, my employer, and I am starting the basic
> work
> | of getting it into [and out of] incubation.
>
> BPM.. Rite.
>
> DJ-lingo: "Beats Per Minute"
> Some journal: "British Postgraduate Musicology"
> BSD: "BSD Ports Manipulator"
>
> Here we got it, I guess: "Business Process Management" ?
>
> Sounds cool! What is it?

BPM is the [IMO] overused, general term for a whole host of
technologies and systems to automate business processes.  In this case,
it's a small execution engine and simple services that process
'workflows'.

A workflow, or business process, is a set of activities and tasks that
are connected to complete a larger task.  For example, processing a
loan application may take may people many steps, and a workflow system
allows that step sequence to be constructed and executed.

it will be easier to explain when I get the code in there.  I'm offline
this weekend, but we're working on moving the code to teh Apache
license, doing the paperwork, and will be bringing the code here ASAP.

geir

geir@gluecode.com