incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roy T. Fielding <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject [VOTE] Accept JCR for Incubation
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:52:39 GMT
Here is the current text of the JCR proposal from

    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JcrProposal

Please cast your vote as +1 (yes), -1 (no), or something in between.
Vote ends 12pm (Noon) PDT -0700, Saturday, August 28, 2004.

....Roy

1. Proposal for new project JCR

1.1. Rationale

    The Content Repository API for Java Technology (JCR) is being
    developed within the Java Community Process as JSR-170 [JSR170],
    with Day Software [Day] as specification lead. It recently passed
    public review and is incorporating the public comments. The
    reference implementation has been developed by Day under the
    proposals subdirectory of the Jakarta Slide [Slide] project's CVS
    [jcrri]. JCR currently uses several utilities within Java commons
    and is expected to be used (eventually) by Jakarta Slide, Cocoon,
    Lenya, and possibly as an interface to various DB projects.

      [JSR170] <http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=170>
      [Day]    <http://www.day.com/>
      [Slide]  <http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html>
      [jcrri]
<http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-slide/proposals/jcrri/>

    The purpose of this proposal is to move the JCR code out of the
    Slide proposals area and into a neutral podling where it can
    attract additional committers from other Apache projects and
    from the various JSR-170 expert group companies, learn the
    Apache way of doing things, and allow the mailing list subscribers
    to focus on this interface/implementation rather than all of
    the existing projects that might want to use it. We hope to
    improve collaboration on the code base by moving all of the
    active developers and authors to Apache, bring in as many of the
    Apache veterans as wish to get involved, and open it up to all
    of the 22 expert group companies. Development of the RI and TCK
    will occur in this project -- Day Software will export the
    official (binary) RI and TCK releases from public tag names
    within apache.org CVS, in accordance with JSPA 2.6 restrictions,
    allowing developers to test against the open source versions
    as well as the official versions.

    In the process, the reference implementation will become a useful
    package for other Apache projects wishing to incorporate the JCR
    interface. The code was originally proposed as the back-end for
    some future version of Slide, which may still happen at some point,
    and we anticipate future integrations with Lenya, Cocoon,
    XML Indexing, Axion, and Derby. We are also looking at integration
    with projects such as Beehive, Maven, and Portals.

    We are not certain of the destination PMC at the current time, though
    Slide (if it becomes a TLP), Lenya, Cocoon, DB, or some future
    framework/CMS TLP are all candidates. Since we believe this should be
    based on the people who show up to do the work, we would prefer to
    "re-start" within incubator and let the nascent Apache community
    decide once the choices become more clear. As such, we are requesting
    that the incubator PMC accept the podling with a vote, even though
    it was earlier accepted as a proposal by Slide committers.

   1.1.1. Criteria

     1.1.1.1. Meritocracy

    We plan to do everything possible to encourage an environment that
    supports a meritocracy. The committer list for this proposal includes
    people who will specifically be responsible for doing the work
    necessary to foster a meritocracy.

     1.1.1.2. Community

    JSR-170's expert group consists of all of the big companies that have
    traditionally supported Apache project work, and quite a few small
    ones as well. Our focus will be to get the individuals comfortable
    with the Apache development process and seek out new contributors.

     1.1.1.3. Core Developers

    Currently Day employees, though this will change as soon as we get a
    chance to invite more people to join this effort. Stefano Mazzocchi
and
    Remy Maucherat have been representing Apache within the JSR-170
expert
    group.  The initial committers listed below include Apache veterans
    from many different projects.

     1.1.1.4. Alignment

    The initial code base is targeted to run on any compliant Servlet
    or J2EE container. Ant is currently used as the build method.
    Some of the Jakarta Commons utilities are used internally.

   1.1.2. Warning Signs

     1.1.2.1. Orphaned products

    This is an active project within Day Software and will be the basis
    of ongoing standards work, the RI and TCK, and the core of Day's
    own content management products.

     1.1.2.2. Inexperience with open source

    Many of the committers have experience working on open source
    projects and several are veterans at Apache.

     1.1.2.3. Homogenous developers

    The initial list of committers includes developers from six
    different countries, with more to come. They are experienced
    with working in a distributed environment.

     1.1.2.4. Reliance on salaried developers

    JSR 170 is supported by over 22 independent companies. It is hoped
    that they will all want to participate in this project as well once
    incubation is under way. The initial committers include individuals
    from seven independent organizations.

     1.1.2.5. No ties to other Apache products

    This work has been envisioned from its beginning to become an Apache
    project, within the constraints imposed by the Java Community Process
    (argh!). We have kept the RI development visible through parallel
    commits to the Slide CVS. As described above, we expect this
    implementation to be used by several existing Apache projects.
    A software grant will be signed to allow Apache to distribute the
    entire code base under the Apache License 2.0.

     1.1.2.6. A fascination with the Apache brand

    The committers are intent on developing a strong open source
community
    around JCR. Apache was chosen because of the people involved and the
    emphasis on collaboration. Day Software is committed to supporting
the
    future open source development of JCR and to distributing the result
of
    that development as the official RI and TCK for JSR-170.

1.2. Scope of the subprojects

    RI, TCK, related tools, and website.

1.3. Identify the initial source from which the subproject
      is to be populated

    All code is currently licensed under the Day RI License 2.0, the same
    addendums to the Apache License 2.0 that have been discussed on
Apache
    licensing lists. The code base will be licensed to the ASF using a
    software grant from Day, allowing Apache to relicense as pure Apache
    License 2.0 code. A factual notice should be added to the
distribution
    to indicate that only the official version of the TCK can be used to
    "pass the TCK", but that will not be a condition on the software
grant.

1.4. Identify the ASF resources to be created

   1.4.1. mailing list(s)

      * jcr-ppmc via incubator.apache.org (with moderated subscriptions)
      * jcr-dev via incubator.apache.org
      * jcr-commits via incubator.apache.org

   1.4.2. CVS repositories

      * incubator-jcr

   1.4.3. Jira

      * JCR project with categories for RI, TCK, Tools, Docs

1.5. Identify the initial set of committers

      |Roy T. Fielding  |Day                 |ASF, httpd, APR, incubator|
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |Stefan Guggisberg|Day                 |Slide                     |
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |Stefano Mazzocchi|MIT                 |ASF, Board, Cocoon, Gump  |
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |David Nuescheler |Day                 |                          |
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |Peeter Piegaze   |Day                 |                          |
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |Gianugo Rabellino|Pro-netics          |ASF, Cocoon, Xindice      |
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |Tim Reilly       |Independent         |Jakarta-Commons           |
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |Marcel Reutegger |Day                 |                          |
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |Paul Russell     |Independent         |Cocoon                    |
      |-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------|
      |Andrew Savory    |Luminas             |Cocoon                    |
      |Tobias Strasser  |Day                 |                          |
      |Sylvain Wallez   |Anyware Technologies|ASF, Cocoon, Avalon       |

1.6. Identify Apache sponsoring individual

      * Roy T. Fielding, champion and mentor for the project,
       (as defined in

<http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/
Roles_and_Responsibilities.html>)