incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: Incubation of iBATIS Data Mapper
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:09:31 GMT
+1 for this incubation, either joining db or as its own TLP wearing my
DB PMC hat =)

On Aug 9, 2004, at 9:31 AM, Ted Husted wrote:

> It's true that we are all database/data persistence technologies, but,
> in my experience, there is much more to an Apache product than
> technology. My own concern as to db.apache.org would be scope.
>
> * PMC Scope

<snip />

There are actually more PMC members than that, the last several added
from OJB aren't on the website list (I am one of those unlisted people,
oops!), I realized over the weekend. Will fix it as soon as I get the
site looking right under Maven 1.0.

iBATIS seems to fit well into DB, but if they don't want that for
personal reasons as a project, their call =) In terms of skewing the
PMC -- skew away if need be, I am a firm believer in the "all active
committers should be PMC members" goal =)

> * Product scope

<snip />

This, to me, is a good argument for TLP status. There has been much
concern over Jakarta being HUGE and hard to oversee. For the record, I
think that concern over size is less important than capturing the idea
crossover that has happened in Jakarta, though. The growth of useful
tools there has been huge, and I am firm believer it is to a large
degree the close proximity of projects which fostered this (virtual
PARC type atmosphere).

> * Community scope

<snip />

All of the current DB projects (other than those in incubator) started
in Jakarta (go momma Jakarta!) or spent some time there. Crossover in
terms of projects being used by committers may not be there, but
crossover in the problem domain is, I think. That is a stronger
argument for me.

> Given these concerns, we thought it might be best to start the
> discussion here, and get some feedback from the Incubator community,
> before making a proposal.
>
> Of course, at the end of the day, I believe we care more about being a
> member of House Apache than in which room we hang our hat :)

I cannot speak for the whole DB PMC, but I am pretty confident that the
project would be quite happy to provide a hat peg and help as needed =)
I'd love to see iBATIS join the DB project, and this seems the natural
home for it, but if they really want a TLP, I certainly won't stand in
the way (and would still be +1).

-Brian