incubator-general mailing list archives

From Clinton Begin <clinton.be...@ibatis.com>
Subject Re: Incubation of iBATIS Data Mapper
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:15:05 GMT

 >> I don't believe anyone has a strong inclination one way or the other.

I'll jump off the fence into a yard.  :-)

I'd prefer to see iBATIS as a TPL for the reasons Ted has laid out.  I
don't think joining the DB project would benefit either team.

 >> The key question would be whether members of the DB PMC will be
 >> comfortable overseeing code for products they don't use on
 >> platforms they don't use.

Another key question is whether the iBATIS team is comfortable
overseeing the code for OJB and Torque.  I can only speak for myself.  I
don't have much interest in being on the PMC for OJB or Torque.  iBATIS
is a wide enough scope as is, and it will only grow faster.

iBATIS already has many subprojects and implementations.  This includes:

   - SQL Maps (to be called Data Mapper)
   - DAO (Data Access Objects)
   - JPetStore (example application)

** We have both Java and .Net implementations for each!

I have a lot of respect for the DB project, but I think it will simply
become too big with iBATIS in there too.

Cheers,
Clinton

Ted Husted wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:09:31 -0400, Brian McCallister wrote:
>
>> I cannot speak for the whole DB PMC, but I am pretty confident that
>> the project would be quite happy to provide a hat peg and help as
>> needed =) I'd love to see iBATIS join the DB project, and this
>> seems the natural home for it, but if they really want a TLP, I
>> certainly won't stand in the way (and would still be +1).
>

> I don't believe anyone has a strong inclination one way or the other. And if it had just
been a matter of iBATIS for Java, I'd agree it would be no-brainer.

> The key question would be whether members of the DB PMC will be comfortable overseeing
code for products they don't use on platforms they don't use. :)

> But if adding six members to the DB PMC is not an issue, and overseeing a DB product
with non-Java implementations is not an issue, then I'm sure we'd be just as happy to apply
through DB. The team is not jealous of other products. Depending on the application and the
team, I know we all recognize that another product can be a better choice for someone.