incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Incubation of iBATIS Data Mapper
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:31:32 GMT
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:15:22 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> And you might want to talk with our DB project and see what interest also comes from
there.

It's true that we are all database/data persistence technologies, but, in my experience, there
is much more to an Apache product than technology. My own concern as to db.apache.org would
be scope.

* PMC Scope

We have six members of Team iBATIS, working on either the Java or .NET version, or both. Our
initial expectation would be that all six would become the iBATIS PMC. As it stands, there
are currently five members of the DB PMC overseeing four products, with over thirty committers.
So, we would either have to skew the PMC:Committer ratio or amend our expectations. :)

* Product scope

We have two iBATIS.NET implementations now, Java and .NET, and some of us considering a PHP
implementation as well. We also plan to found a specification subproject to define the iBATIS
baseline for each implementation. With three subprojects, and a possible fourth, it seems
that the iBATIS scope is broad enough to support a top-level project.

* Community scope

The iBATIS Java community does have a lot of crossover with the Jakarta community. The implementation
uses Jakarta products, and many iBATIS developers use Jakarta products in their applications
too. But, I do not sense a lot of crossover with the db.apache.org community. As it stands,
we probably have more crossover with the Hibernate community. Many of us have used both Hibernate
and iBATIS for different products at the same time. Though, OJB and Hibernate have much in
common, so if we  were more closely aligned, we could see more crossover between those Java
communities. Of course, aside from Java, iBATIS also has a .NET community, and may develop
a PHP community as well.

Given these concerns, we thought it might be best to start the discussion here, and get some
feedback from the Incubator community, before making a proposal.

Of course, at the end of the day, I believe we care more about being a member of House Apache
than in which room we hang our hat :)

-Ted.