incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Incubation of iBATIS Data Mapper
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:13:07 GMT
Since there does seem to be interest in reviewing a proposal from iBATIS, I've setup a draft
in the Incubator wiki.

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IbatisProposal

Based on the discussion here, I've included a section on whether to apply as TLP or subproject.

----

       The iBATIS scope is as broad as products like Ant, Struts, and Maven. iBATIS is not
just a Data Mapper framework, there is also a second Data Access Object framework, as well
as an implementation of the infamous Petstore application. All implemented for both Java and
.NET. Other subproject to create and maintain GUI tools and a common specification are planned,
and PHP implementation may also follow.

      The iBATIS team believes that all active committers should be PMC members. As iBATIS
continues to grow, we expect the development/management team to also grow.

      While the iBATIS products would fit under the broad scope of the db.apache.org project,
the iBATIS developers would not be comfortable overseeing the db.apache.org products. We simply
do not have enough experience with the other products to provide PMC-grade oversight.

      Accordingly, our preference would be to apply as an Apache top-level project.

----

Of course, this draft is a living document, to be amended based on feedback from interested
parties.

-Ted.