incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Uday Parmar" <uday.par...@daffodildb.com>
Subject Evaluating the 'Open Sourcing' of Daffodil DB
Date Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:01:05 GMT
Hi everyone,

We have a Java RDBMS (Daffodil DB) that is a fully functional and feature-rich small/compact
database. The evaluation version of Daffodil DB has been downloaded by over 2500 developers
and we also have a substantial user base.

We are now evaluating the benefits of making Daffodil DB Open Source on the Apache Software
Foundation. Our alumni list of over 400 developers and a conscious desire to better the product
will ensure participation in the project if it is duly selected.

However, the issue that come into my mind is that ASF already has a similar project running
under the Derby banner. We understand that ASF is not averse to adopting projects in which
there is some functionality overlap with an existing project. However, I still wanted to understand
members thoughts on how Derby would affect our chances of being selected by ASF.

Members can have a look at www.daffodildb.com to learn about Daffodil DB or click http://daffodildb.com:8080/eval/filldetails.jsp
to download a free 90-day evaluation version. I hope to hear from (some of) you soon.

Warm Regards,
Uday Parmar