incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:58:01 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> In walking through the incubation documents (helping a couple of groups
> who have asked me about how to do this) it struck me that there was no
> requirement that the proposal provide a link to download and evaluate
> the code around which a project is being proposed - in fact it appears
> the code itself could be kept secret until project acceptance into the
> incubator.

I'd like to express a concern about this. I think the decision about
incubation should not depend on the code. When a the idea / goals /
concepts of a project can attract developers, they would certainly
be interested in improving the code base. Couldn't it even be
possible to re-build the code base from scratch?

Is it really useful to require a certain quality standard already
in the beginning of the incubation process?

Just my $0.02 ...

-- Andreas