incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:42:49 GMT
> java.apache.org history shows a long history of failures in incubating
> projects without code. jakarta doesn't, exactly because we established
> that rule.

> It would be a *major* step back if we lifted that requirement.

We wouldn't be lifting it because we haven't had that requirement.  In the
case of Geronimo, we pretty much forced Geronimo to code from scratch,
based on their expertise.  That said, it would be extremely rare to
incubate a new community without seed code.  I don't know of another such.
But we do have a quite successful precedent for making an exception.

Again, I think it goes back to community.  We've rejected code without a
community, but I don't think I'd reject a community that lacked code, if
we had ASF Members who wanted to sponsor it.

	--- Noel