incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: software grant questions
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:44:01 GMT
> The software grant form
> (<http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt>) requests that the
> "List of software and other intellectual property covered by this
> agreement" be enumerated in Exhibit A.

> 1) What form should this enumeration take?

Something like "the Axion DB software, documentation and other files
developed by the Axion Development Team at tigris.org" seems about right.

> Would a pointer to the relevant CVS tree suffice?

These documents live longer than the URLs would.  A lawyer might nitpick
that a Grant be accompanied by the thing being granted, but I don't believe
we need to require that.  We get the code from the contributor, anyway.  We
don't pull it.

Ideally, we'd get something like a tarball of the CVS repository so that we
preserve history, whether it stays in CVS or is converted to Subversion.
Personally, I dislike losing history, although I realize that in some cases
it might be necessary, e.g., a proprietary product that is going open source
*could* have some confidential information in the source control commit
logs, such as customer information.

	--- Noel