incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Questions about donating code
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 04:15:11 GMT
As others have said, you want to contact the Incubator.  I'll tell you that
we will be looking for support from within the ASF for adopting your
project, and a community.  You should probably check with the DB project to
see what interest is there.  Also, you should look at existing ASF projects
to see where you may have some overlap.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen [mailto:kcfu@flash.net]
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 21:18
Subject: Questions about donating code

Hello,

My name is Kam Fu. I would like to donate the source codes for the tool I
just created to the community. However, I am not quite sure what procedure I
should follow. Below is a brief description of the tool I created.

1) The tool is developed using JSP/Servlet/Java Classes/html. It uses Struts
as Controller and Log4j for logging.
2) It allows developer to create a database maintenance web application on
fly without coding. All the screen and database configurations can be
specified in a xml files which can easily be generated by the tool I
created.
3) It supports multiple databases i.e Oracle, Teradata, MySQL, MSSQL etc.
Right now, it works for Oracle.
4) The web application contains list view which display the important
information. The information shown on the list view can be configured via
xml file.
5) It supports paging and allows user to view previous page, next page,
first page and last page without maintaining an open cursor or using JDBC
savepoint.
6) It provides simple cache algorithm to cache certain pages (forward and
backward pages) as specified in a xml file to speed up paging.
7) It allows search and sort by different criteria as specified in xml file.
It also support wildcard search.
8) It provides form view which display all the information from the table.
9) It allows user to edit and update the data in the form view. The key
fields will be protected during editing.
10) It allows user to add a new records.
11) It provides a validation engine to validate the data. The validation
rule can be specified in xml file.
12) It provides a conversion engine to convert the data to certain format
(i.e CCYYMMDD hh:mm:ss to DDMMMCCYY etc). The conversion rule can be
specified in xml file.
13) It also allows developer to develop a specific validation rule if
needed.
14) It allows user to delete a record.
15) It provides logging to log the SQL statements or messages using log4j.
16) It allows developer to specify whether the input data need to be
converted to uppercase in xml file.
17) It allows developer to specify which functions are allowed per table in
xml file i.e list, view,  add, update and delete.
18) All values of the html form, list heading, form description, drop down
box etc can be specified in an xml file.
19) Developer can specify which fields allow edit.
20) It provides ability to reference other column from different table as
specified in a xml file.
21) It provides performance measurement for database query/update as
specified in a xml file.
22) It provides a very easy to use web interface.

The application makes use of the following design patterns.
1)    Factory method.
2)     ValueListHandler.
3)      Value Object.
4)      Data Access Object.
5)      Singleton.

Basically, I can bring up any single table maintenance web app in less than
15 minutes with all the above functionality.

Appreciate your advise.
Stephen