incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: several messages
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:58:12 GMT
On 14 Jul 2004, at 16:58, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> One is an older one that
> is not from a big company, and is seemingly and finally starting to get
> squared away.  The other one is a recent submission that more closely
> fits
> your description, and concerns have been raised to the contributor
> about it.

This was a lovely discussion to read - unfortunately I wasn't able to
participate due to intermittent, read-only mail access. Perhaps also a
hint towards Brian's feelings about evolving discussion styles: could
we name things here? I see reference to specific "projects" but
cannot/don't want to name-guess.

For the record: I resonate with much of Brian's worries, unfortunately
in real life all of this might boil down to case-by-case judgements by
hopefully well-informed mentors or ASF peeps, rather than following a
policy checklist that anyone can implement. And I think this is the
gist of the Incubator: actual folks reasoning about case-by-case
decisions as history unfolds.

And the fact that BigCo is discovering the need for an open source
strategy, and regards the ASF as an ideal platform for this, will
confront us with the need to have a good intersection of ASF folks
dealing with incubation directly, rather than reasoning about
incubation rules in general.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org