incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:18:13 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>java.apache.org history shows a long history of failures in incubating
>>projects without code. jakarta doesn't, exactly because we established
>>that rule.
>>

>>It would be a *major* step back if we lifted that requirement.
>>

>We wouldn't be lifting it because we haven't had that requirement.  In the
>case of Geronimo, we pretty much forced Geronimo to code from scratch,
>based on their expertise.  That said, it would be extremely rare to
>incubate a new community without seed code.  I don't know of another such.
>But we do have a quite successful precedent for making an exception.
>
>Again, I think it goes back to community.  We've rejected code without a
>community, but I don't think I'd reject a community that lacked code, if
>we had ASF Members who wanted to sponsor it.
>
>	--- Noel

There's still an outstanding question from the original message in this
thread, though ... would we reject an entry into incubation if there
*was* code, but we couldn't look at it unless the incubation was
accepted?  I believe we would always want to require code review in such
a circumstance.  Whether or not we'd be willing to do such a code review
privately (under some form of NDA) is a separate question.

Craig McClanahan