incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:45:53 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> In walking through the incubation documents (helping a couple of groups
> who have asked me about how to do this) it struck me that there was no
> requirement that the proposal provide a link to download and evaluate
> the code around which a project is being proposed - in fact it appears
> the code itself could be kept secret until project acceptance into the
> incubator.  It seems to me that any honest assessment of the merit of
> accepting a proposal should include a look at the code itself, if only
> to get a gut-check on how maintainable and evolveable that codebase
> might be going forward.  Many proposals have provided just such a link
> despite it not being required.  Requiring it would also avoid the
> situation where someone says "if Apache approves it *then* I'll release
> the code".
>
> Thoughts?

One of the key requirements is that there's enough people interested in
a project and willing to help. Ensuring that will usually be very
difficult without making code available, but not always. Consider
geronimo. There was no code, but we accepted it anyway (IIRC the board
did, even). Good decision.

I think the right thing to do is to suggest the code is made available
for download so people can evaluate, or otherwise explain why it is not
made available. Something like that.

- LSD