incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:04:06 GMT

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Given that there are many places where one can start an open source
> project, IMO it makes perfect sense for Apache to have a higher
> standard. If the company's strategy question is whether to open source
> or not, then if the decision depends on acceptance to Apache then I'd
> say we're better off without it!

i disagree.  for one thing, this is basically stating that the proposal
isn't sufficient.  i disagree with that on principle; if the proposal
isn't enough to allow us to make up our minds, propping it up with the
code seems makeshift.

for another thing, the asf *does* have a higher standard: we require
transfer of ownership and ip.  it makes perfect sense to me that a
company may be willing to transfer those to the asf, but *not* be
willing to throw them into the open -- which is the potential if
the code is exposed before the acceptance and transfer.
- --
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)