incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Personal attacks and respect
Date Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:04:44 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:
>>

>>> Please, not here. I'm quite confident that a good portion of the
>>> inhabitants of this list doesn't care much about who is going to "win"
>>> this flamefest. At least I am not, and I can imagine that neither
>>> general@ nor pmc@i.a.o are to be bothered with thread fallout debris
>>> like this. It ain't fun nor educating to watch.
>>

>> well, sometimes you have to deal with unpleasant things.  that's life.
>

> I think most of us are still perplexed as to why Stephen chose this list
> (general@incubator) to "rumble" with Nicola.  Could someone clarify
> this? Does it have to do with a project currently in the incubator?  I'm
> not on any sublists of the incubator...

I chose this list for two reasons:

   1. unnecessary and unwarranted disruption of an incubator project
      was occurring - something I did not want to see continue in
      light of the fact the the issues had nothing to do with the
      project in question

   2. that underlying this disruption - incubator policies related
      to the nomination of named mentors is IMO potential the
      root issue here

I think that the first issue can be resolved (possible through
arbitration or directly by the initiating party). Even so, the second
issue remains and is a subject that could be reviewed within this forum
and potential resolved for the benefit of subsequent incubator projects.

For now I aiming to resolve the first item, following which I (or
possibly someone else with interested in improving policy here at
Apache) can provide a more complete summation.

My apologies to everyone for what I hope will be a temporary disruption
and earnestly hope that a rapid resolution can be achieved.

Stephen.