incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: software grant questions
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:13:23 GMT
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> 1) What form should this enumeration take?
>
> Something like "the Axion DB software, documentation and other files
> developed by the Axion Development Team at tigris.org" seems about right.

Ok.

>> Would a pointer to the relevant CVS tree suffice?
>
> These documents live longer than the URLs would.

Good point.

> A lawyer might nitpick
> that a Grant be accompanied by the thing being granted, but I don't believe
> we need to require that.

Good, that's sorta what I was afraid of.

> We get the code from the contributor, anyway.  We
> don't pull it.
>
> Ideally, we'd get something like a tarball of the CVS repository so that we
> preserve history, whether it stays in CVS or is converted to Subversion.
> Personally, I dislike losing history, although I realize that in some cases
> it might be necessary, e.g., a proprietary product that is going open source
> *could* have some confidential information in the source control commit
> logs, such as customer information.

We don't have direct shell access at Tigris, but Jason (Robbins) has
generally been accommodating, so we might be able to do something like
that.  My intention was to simply layer the tagged releases into the
apache tree (e.g., check in M1, then M2, then M3, etc.) which would leave
us with only snapshots of the version history, but generally the important
snapshots.  The intermediate revisions are probably only of academic
interest. Of course, this approach is easier in Axion's case because we
don't have any significant branches to deal with, it's probably not viable
in the general case.