incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:39:14 GMT
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>>
>>> why?  if the idea excites people but the code sucks, are we going to
>>> turn it down?
>>
>> In that case, we might decide to accept a new project into the incubator
>> for the same purpose, but decide not to accept the sucky code.
>
> java.apache.org history shows a long history of failures in incubating
> projects without code. jakarta doesn't, exactly because we established that
> rule.
>
> It would be a *major* step back if we lifted that requirement.

Keep in mind that availablility of the code is a requirement during
incubation, of course.  The question is what's an appropriate bar to set
*before* a project is accepted into the incubator.

Let's also admit there are open source projects out there, perhaps even
within the ASF, whose code quality makes it difficult to build
communities around.

 	Brian