incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:01:32 GMT
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>> It seems to me that any honest assessment of the merit of
>> accepting a proposal should include a look at the code itself, if only to
>> get a gut-check on how maintainable and evolveable that codebase might be
>> going forward.
>
> why?  if the idea excites people but the code sucks, are we going to
> turn it down?

In that case, we might decide to accept a new project into the
incubator for the same purpose, but decide not to accept the sucky code.

>> Many proposals have provided just such a link despite it
>> not being required.  Requiring it would also avoid the situation where
>> someone says "if Apache approves it *then* I'll release the code".
>
> why do we want to avoid this situation?  what business of it is ours
> if the submitter wants to entrust their baby to us and only to us?
> we should say no when given such an expression of confidence?

I thought I explained it in the half-dozen paragraphs that followed, but
I'll try it again...

It's definitely our business, because it's code that the ASF will become
responsible for maintaining. Furthermore it puts a burden on the ASF to
make the project successful, beyond our own intentions to do so.  We
aren't here to provide an open-sourcing service to companies - I don't
believe we can (nor should we be expect to) look into the eyes of a
company's executive and say "grant your code to us and we'll guarantee a
community and a healthy project".  There's an implicit promise in an
arrangement like that.

 	Brian