incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject proposal: modify incubation application process to require a reference to the code itself
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 01:34:40 GMT

In walking through the incubation documents (helping a couple of groups
who have asked me about how to do this) it struck me that there was no
requirement that the proposal provide a link to download and evaluate the
code around which a project is being proposed - in fact it appears the
code itself could be kept secret until project acceptance into the
incubator.  It seems to me that any honest assessment of the merit of
accepting a proposal should include a look at the code itself, if only to
get a gut-check on how maintainable and evolveable that codebase might be
going forward.  Many proposals have provided just such a link despite it
not being required.  Requiring it would also avoid the situation where
someone says "if Apache approves it *then* I'll release the code".

Thoughts?

 	Brian