incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rolf Kulemann <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Vote PMC Chair - Silent voting appropriate?
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:52:17 GMT
On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 22:43, Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> > Hello Incubators,
> >
> > since the Lenya community is confronted with being graduated to a TLP
> > and thus with setting up a resolution for the ASF Board (did I used the
> > right terms?), I wonder if it is better to do a silent vote for the
> > future Apache Lenya PMC Chair.
> >
> > I followed some discussions on cocoon-pmc@ and I think this is a good
> > idea.
> >
> > The main reason I see is, that such votes should not end up in a
> > popularity contest.
> >
> > I saw some ASF Board minutes from year 2002 where it was discussed to
> > use STV as a voting system. I could not find any detailed information
> > about such a system and its usage within the ASF.
> >
> > Does a silent voting system exists somewhere, which we could use for
> > sensitive votes or do u think silent voting is not needed?
> >

> I think that was used from the guys of forrest. There just added the
> draft to the cvs and let the committer edit it. That would be
> semi-silent but I reckon will do the job.
>
> I will add the draft into CVS-HEAD as proposal.txt so all committer can
> vote.
>
> WDYT?

-1, because that would not solve the problem I mentioned, if it there is
a problem at all.

I think we do a normal vote on ppmc.
Lets make our experience.

I can understand both opinions, Noel's and Stefano's. The last cocoon
pmc vote was a bit ridiculous in the beginning.

However we should wait for the SUMMARY on general@incubator befdore we
vote a PMC Chair or whatever. Fact is we have to do it sometime if we
want to become TLP.

IMHO, we do not need a chair for our community and the development
process, but we need one for the ASF, so lets do it.

--
Rolf Kulemann