incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2 Release
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:39:30 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

[...]

>  Great, but I'm still trying to
> understand why there is a need to put out a distribution rather than put all
> of the energy into helping Lenya conclude incubation and then release.

<cite author="Tim Larson">

IMHO a Lenya release should be pushed out as quickly as possible,
*including bugs*.  Bad code makes good communities.  Lenya is
mostly functional right now, so people *can* make use of a release.
But we also have some glaring bugs, which can cause itches to help
draw in developers.  If we wait to release until all the itches
are gone, the developers may be gone too.

Let's not worry about release numbers, just grab what we have, get
a release approved, and put it out there as a "technology preview".
While the project is young, we should "release early, release often",
to help the community and project grow.  People install, test, and
even start improving software _when there is a release_.  Then we
may have more people to help fix bugs, add enhancements, etc.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&msgId=1689676

</cite>

-- Andreas