incubator-general mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2 Release
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:54:43 GMT
On Jun 11, 2004, at 4:33 PM, Steven Noels wrote:

>> What is your take on the readiness of Lenya to leave the Incubator,
>> and on
>> the question of putting out a milestone?  Just as a reminder, the
>> distribution would have to be tagged as an incubator distribution,
>> not an
>> ASF release.
>
> (soapbox-mode)
>
> My take is that - at last, and pushed forward primarily by the group
> of non-Wyona, newbie committers - the urgent need for release and exit
> has been recognized and is in the process of being addressed
> adequately. For one reason or another, this has never been pushed
> forward by the original donators, but now, the momentum has changed to
> a positive effect.
>
> All this being considered, I'm +1 on release and consecutively exit
> from the incubator.
>
> I'll be carefully looking after ASF brand abuse however in the
> forthcoming months. This entire incubation episode has left me with
> dubious feelings: for a long time, I've been thinking that Lenya would
> be a sad example of premature ASF donation.

Uhm, I'm a bit at loss here: how could you suggest an incubator exit
*AND* warn against potential brand abuse talking about dubious
feelings? If there are any problems (sorry, I don't know Lenya enough
to go beyond belly thoughts, so I won't state my inaccurate position
here), shouldn't they be faced _inside_ the incubator?

(which brings me to something that I've been wondering for a long time:
I understand that incubation has two possible exit codes, but do you
*really* envision any project being kicked off the ASF? I could
envision a project deciding not to go any further and fail voluntarily
incubation, but I just can't imagine the incubator kicking
people/projects out. Hmmm... yeah, I should just STFU since I basically
don't know a thing about the incubation process, I assume you guys have
been through this)

Ciao,
--
Gianugo Rabellino