incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: The 50% Rule (was RE: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2 Release)
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:39:47 GMT
> Personally, I'd like to see one or two quantitative rules (such as one
> about independent committers to allow for vetoes) and then leave the
> rest
> up to a voting body that will evaluate graduation against some general
> guidelines.  I also think the voting body should be the PPMC, which is
> made up of the project's committers, the PMC members of the destination
> TLP (or the Board if destined to be a TLP itself), and interested
> members
> of the Incubator PMC.  This means that after meeting some minimum
> requirements, the project members along with experienced members of the
> Apache community, who have been watching and participating in the
> developing project, would evaluate the overall health of the community
> and vote accordingly.  Before Roy says anything ;-), I realize that the
> PPMC isn't part of the Bylaws and therefore wouldn't mean anything
> official on its own, but maybe that's where the Incubator PMC would
> ratify the PPMC's decision with a vote in favor, assuming the basic
> process was observed.

Not quite. The PPMC is a subgroup officially established by the
incubator PMC, containing a named list of individuals who have agreed
to participate on the PPMC.  As such, they are covered by the PMC
clauses of the bylaws as far as decision-making goes.  The only
difference is that the PPMC does not have the authority to release
software on behalf of the ASF, whereas the PMC does.  Other than that,
we want the PPMC to make its own decisions, including when to recommend
a snapshot release and when to request exit from the incubator.
The incubator PMC makes its own decisions based on that input, which
isn't the same as ratifying someone else's decision.

Before someone starts complaining about bureaucracy, please understand
that the only reason a "corporation" differs from a sack of individuals,
and thus individual liability, is because there is active group
oversight of decisions made on behalf of the corporation for the sake
of the corporation.  That applies for a nonprofit even more so than a
for-profit, since our process has to be valid for both the Delaware
corporate laws and the IRS guidelines.  The safest way to do that is
to assign responsibilities to specific committees and keep records
of their decisions (and how those decisions were reached).

Personally, the only quantitative rule I want to see is at least
three independent committers capable and willing to become the
destination PMC.  The reason is because people tend to change jobs
fairly frequently, especially when a new company decides they want
to make a project part of their revenue stream *while* contributing
to the open source side.  Companies should not face artificial
barriers against hiring the developers who work on our projects.

....Roy