incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <>
Subject Re: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2 Release
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:57:01 GMT
On 14 Jun 2004, at 12:02, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>> Lenya has an awkward history IMHO. It has been force-fed into the
>> bowls of the ASF upon the idea that a community was more important
>> than code, and because of pet-peeves of people: the ASF needed a CMS
>> project, and Lenya would be a community seed for that - regardless of
>> the community aptness to serve as one. The original Lenya folks were
>> clueless about the Apache Open Source Way, but felt so much "invited"
>> into the ASF that they figured they were doing a good job. The
>> original number of committers was bloated, and their communication
>> about the incubation status of Lenya was tendencious at best. Wyona
>> didn't do a great job at opening up the project to the outside world
>> (other than dumping code into public CVS), and there wasn't much
>> direction or shared project ownership.
> well, I think it was and is quite different, but it doesn't make sense
> to argue about perceptions.

Of course not, and I hope I've been careful enough to talk only from my
own private perception - something I can and will not change even if I
know the people behind the voices on the mailing lists. And as you
acknowledge, I have seen plenty of change during the recent months,
something I am very happy about.

> I am very optimistic on this, but I guess you know that ;-)

I am happy to see you happy. :-)

Steven Noels
Read my weblog at
stevenn at                stevenn at