incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Cliff Schmidt" <cl...@bea.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: incubator/site/projects xmlbeans.cwiki
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:04:57 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 12:30 AM:

> Cliff Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote on Monday, June 28, 2004 10:53 PM:
>>
>>> Cliff,
>>>
>>> I'm not sure we want to delete all the content.  Just move it to the
>>> successful part of the projects page, and leave the content as a
>>> record of what had happened.  Mind you, nothing is lost, since the
>>> page is maintained in source control if people want to see the
>>> history.
>>
>> Your last point is exactly why I thought it would be okay to get
>> rid of the long check list on the page.  I just thought that if
>> someone stumbled upon the web page, that it should be very clear
>> about it no longer being an active page and that they should go to
>> the project web site.
>>
>> However, I don't really feel that strongly about it.  I can
>> restore the content.  I'll try to find a way to highlight the
>> fact that it is no longer an active page.
>
> +1

Done

>> Another question is whether we want successfully incubated
>> projects to still be listed under the Projects tab?
>
> Nope :-)
>
>> If so, the
>> tab will eventually get pretty long; if not, would removing a
>> project from the tab (from site.xml) lead to other consequences,
>> such as not being able to link to the status page from the
>> "Successfully Incubated" projects table?
>
> Forrest renders any link it finds on his way, be it in the navigation
> or not. But indirect linking needs the name to remain in the site.xml.
> Just remove the label, and it can remain in site.xml without being
> rendered on the site.

Thanks for the tip.  I took care of that too.  I correctly categorized
a few graduated projects like Geronimo, Pluto, jUDDI, and of course
XMLBeans.  The site is updated now: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html

>> BTW, in doing these changes (xmlbeans move and beehive addition),
>> I noticed the Geronimo page was getting a 404.  See the link
>> from http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html.  After
>> rebuilding the site, it worked fine on my machine.  So, once the
>> new check-in to incubator-site goes live, I think the 404 will
>> be fixed.  I didn't originally move geronimo because I wasn't
>> sure what was going on with the 404, but if it is all back and
>> working again I can take care of that at the same time I roll
>> back the xmlbeans status page.

I noticed this was still a problem, even though it was working on
my local machine.  Then I saw it wasn't a 404 after all -- it was
returning a DNS error.  So, I looked a little closer at projects/
index.xml and noticed that the Geronimo link was "site:geronimo/"
instead of "site:geronimo".  So I took off the ending slash and
committed that change to incubator.  I haven't checked in a
rebuilt site into incubator-site, but I bet that was the problem.
I have no idea how long it has been that way.

BTW, rather than checking in the entire incubator-site any time
one file is updated, are there better appoaches? Since running
forrest will always change every page (by updating the "Last
Published" date I believe), the ant task copies every file to
the incubator-site module.  I've been commiting the entire
new site, even when only a few pages had any content changes.
What approaches have worked for others?  Is there a reason why
I shouldn't just manually copy over the affected files and only
commit them into incubator-site?  I suppose the danger is being
unaware of a cascading page change.

Cliff