incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2 Release
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:33:09 GMT
On 11 Jun 2004, at 14:13, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> What is your take on the readiness of Lenya to leave the Incubator,
> and on
> the question of putting out a milestone?  Just as a reminder, the
> distribution would have to be tagged as an incubator distribution, not
> an
> ASF release.

(soapbox-mode)

My take is that - at last, and pushed forward primarily by the group of
non-Wyona, newbie committers - the urgent need for release and exit has
been recognized and is in the process of being addressed adequately.
For one reason or another, this has never been pushed forward by the
original donators, but now, the momentum has changed to a positive
effect.

All this being considered, I'm +1 on release and consecutively exit
from the incubator.

I'll be carefully looking after ASF brand abuse however in the
forthcoming months. This entire incubation episode has left me with
dubious feelings: for a long time, I've been thinking that Lenya would
be a sad example of premature ASF donation. It is good to see that some
volunteers finally stepped up and managed to create real momentum, and
I can only hope they will last for a long time. Lenya will still need
to acquire more external contributors to help them with this effort.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org