incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2 Release
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:02:22 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

> Lenya has an awkward history IMHO. It has been force-fed into the
> bowls of the ASF upon the idea that a community was more important
> than code, and because of pet-peeves of people: the ASF needed a CMS
> project, and Lenya would be a community seed for that - regardless of
> the community aptness to serve as one. The original Lenya folks were
> clueless about the Apache Open Source Way, but felt so much "invited"
> into the ASF that they figured they were doing a good job. The
> original number of committers was bloated, and their communication
> about the incubation status of Lenya was tendencious at best. Wyona
> didn't do a great job at opening up the project to the outside world
> (other than dumping code into public CVS), and there wasn't much
> direction or shared project ownership.

well, I think it was and is quite different, but it doesn't make sense
to argue about perceptions.

I am not saying that none of us didn't make mistakes, but my perception
is nevertheless quite different, especially since I see ourselves as
individuals and not as a company within the Lenya community.

It certainly makes sense to learn from concrete mistakes, but not from
assumptions or perceptions, because we will probably never stop argueing.
Also I think all of us acted very promptly on requests from various sides.

So, I think the important thing is to look ahead and see the positive side
as Steven is stating below.

> What I see now is people empowering themselves and caring only about
> the project, not about all the peripheral dreams or company ambitions.
> This is a tremendous shift in project governance. I think the ASF
> needs to acknowledge and endorse this shift and give these people the
> ability to continue their course.

agreed

> Whether this course will be successful, we will only know within a
> year or so. I hope these folks will be able to attract new committers
> and continue what they started.

I am very optimistic on this, but I guess you know that ;-)

Michi

--
Michael Wechner