incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: The 50% Rule (was RE: [Summary ]Re: [TEST+VOTE] Lenya 1.2 Release)
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:40:09 GMT
Cliff Schmidt wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote on Friday, June 11, 2004 2:24 PM:
>>On Friday, June 11, 2004, at 04:01  AM, Leo Simons wrote:
>>
>>>[is the rule that a project just needs 3 independent committers, or
>>>is there an additional rule that no more than 50% of the committers
>>>must be part of a single company?]
>>>
>>>IIRC that 50% rule applies, but IANAL. Roy, Nicola?
>>
>>I have no idea where that 50% stuff came from.

me neither! But I figure it was added for /some/ reason :-D

>>The goal of having at
>>least three independent members of the project PMC (*committers* has
>>no decison-making role in the foundation, even when committers == PMC)
>>is to make sure someone is able to veto stuff that would get
>>us in trouble.  50% would be nice, but not necessary unless we are
>>talking about the ASF board.
>>
>>I don't know if this should even apply to code that is being
>>inserted into an existing project.

hmm. Do you have an opinion?

Thinking back to similar situations...I kinda assume (not another
assumption!) that when tomcat came to the ASF most of the people working
on it were sun people, at least at first. That worked out fine :-D

cheers,

- LSD