incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [RT] incubation time
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:11:15 GMT
Nicola wrote:
 > Is that we are wrongly accepting projects that do not have a
 > sufficiently big community? IOW, should we only accept projects the
 > community size/diversity of which we would deem ok for graduation (as
 > it has been IIRC always for Jakarta subprojects)?

I don't know. This "people management" bit of incubation is not
something for which we can easily set (or, want to set) a rule.

You can take the choice to minimize the risk that something ("something"
here being incubation) will not work out. Not taking chances does mean a
lot of exiting oppurtunities are lost.

OTOH you can choose to take a lot of risk and just accept any project.
You are certain to have many "dead projects" lying around then, and you
definately need a cleanup policy.

The problem of striking the right balance is a difficult one. I don't
think we are quite sure where it should be, which is okay, as long as we
keep evaluating :-D

I myself am inclined to restrict this kind of "policy" to whatever is
required to keep the ASF legally defensible, but no more. That is
basically what we're doing now, no?

cheers,

- Leo